Growing a business is hard, uncertain work. The market is constantly in flux and the vast unknowns that could affect your business are truly daunting.
That’s where this year’s Mid-Atlantic Growth Conference comes in.
Each year, the National Capital Chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) sponsors the Mid-Atlantic Growth Conference, an event that brings together the top business minds from across the Mid-Atlantic region to share best practices, network and learn how leaders of some of the region’s most dynamic companies think about strategic business decisions.
This year, that means that you’ll walk away with ideas on how to accelerate your growth strategy.
Need advice on developing an idea and bringing it to market? Compare your creative process to the one Chic Thompson will lay out and pay careful attention to how Ben Miller introduced the world to the very first eREIT and grew Fundrise into a leading asset management company.
Or maybe you want to know how to best take advantage of the red-hot government contracting market. Then chat with our panel of proven industry executives and bring a pen to hear what Mac Curtis, one of WashingtonExec’s Top 25 Execs to Watch, learned from his latest venture.
Remember, there are still more opportunities lying in wait, beyond what’s listed on the agenda below. Who knows who you will run into on the floor? Among the sea of senior business leaders in attendance, maybe you’ll run into some of the nation’s top financial sponsors, eager to invest; your next client or even that game-changing business partner.
11:30 AM Registration
11:30 AM -12:30 PM Luncheon
12:30-1:10 PM Mac Curtis, President and Chief Executive Officer, Perspecta Inc.
Mac Curtis is a results-oriented corporate executive with over 25 years of senior level experience in the federal government contracting industry. Mac was named a 2011 Federal 100 Award winner by Federal Computer Week and one of WashingtonExec’s Top 25 Execs to Watch in 2019 in recognition of his leadership in affecting change, progress and efficiency in determining how the federal government acquires, develops and manages IT.
1:30-2:10 PM Ben Miller, Co-founder and CEO, Fundrise The Future of Real Estate Investing (a disruptive business model)
With advancements in technology and expansion of federal regulations, like the JOBS Act, Fundrise is leading the way in crowdfunding and providing a transparent, online service offering for average investors to invest in the market. Hear from Ben Miller, co-founder and CEO of Fundrise, during a fireside chat with RSM partner John McCourt and learn how Fundrise grew into a leading asset management company, and the world’s first eREIT. The discussion will cover:
- How Fundrise leveraged technology to capitalize on Regulation A+ of the JOBS Act
- The risks Fundrise faced in being the first eREIT to be qualified by the SEC
- How does it work? Did you “Build it and they will come”?
- And, then came the Opportunity Zone
- The future for Fundrise and real estate crowdsourcing
2:15-2:55 PM Corporate vs. Private Equity Investors: A Compare and Contrast of Strategies, Opportunities, Execution and Market Dynamics
- Joe Burkhart, Managing Director & Head of Business Development, Saratoga Investment Corp.
- Robert George, VP Corporate Development, SOSi
- Jeff Kelly, Partner, OceanSound Partners
- Michael Lewis, EVP Chief Development Officer, CACI
- Frank Walker, Partner, Baker Tilly
3:15-3:55 PM Growth Strategies in a Rapidly Changing Market (Organic & Inorganic)
- John Hagan, Managing Director, Aerospace, Defense & Government Services Investment Banking Sun Trust Robinson Humphrey
- Kim Pack, Vice President, Wolf Den Associates
- Mark Skinner, Chief Strategy Officer, Xator Corporation
- David Wodlinger , Partner, Arlington Capital Partners
- Chris Wynes, CEO, Meti Solutions
4:00-4:40 PM Acquiring a Company with Government Contracts | Am I Really Getting What I Think?
- Judy Bjornaas, CFO, ManTech International
- Gary Campbell, Partner, Womble Bond Dickinson
- Dave Keffer, General Partner, Blue Delta Capital Partners
- Matt Koehl, Partner, Womble Bond Dickinson
- Diane Nguyen, CFO, EverWatch
This will be an interactive discussion, touching on the following issues when acquiring a company with government contracts:
- Novation Agreement & Associated Issues
- Small Business Set-Aside Contracts
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Cost-Reimbursable Contracts
- Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) Contracts
- Open Proposal Submissions
- Organizational Conflicts of Interest
- Compliance Risks/Extraordinary Penalties (DCAA Exposure/Audits)
- Program Profitability – EAC’s, T&M labor rates, Contract
- Subcontracts vs Prime Contracts
- Employee Agreements
4:50-5:30 PM Closing Keynote: Chic Thompson, What a Great Idea!
Chic will take you on an interactive journey with his acclaimed steps of strategic curiosity, which foster a mindset of innovation. He is a Batten Fellow of Entrepreneurship at the University of Virginia’s Darden Business School and adjunct faculty at the Brookings Institution and the Young Presidents’ Organization. Chic worked in new product development and marketing for W.L. Gore and Associates (Gore-Tex®), Johnson & Johnson and Walt Disney.
5:30-7:30 PM Reception